I can honestly say that since starting my “quest” for an audiophile-quality gaming setup I have found many different things that have impressed me, sometimes because of performance, price, looks or comfort. This time, it’s different. A few days ago I ordered some Goldring DR150 headphones as I’d had good experiences with another of their sets (the Goldring NS1000) and they were reduced from £90 to £30, so why not!?
They arrived a few days ago and I immediately hooked them up to my Zero DAC/Amp, loaded up Foobar2000 and picked a test-selection of:
- The Prodigy – Warrior’s Dance (Bass)
- Dirt Devils – The Drill (Bass)
- Imogen Heap – Hide and Seek (Electronic / Vocals)
- Adele – Rolling In The Deep (Vocals)
- Avril Lavigne – Everybody Hurts (Acoustic / Vocals / Bass)
- Foo Fighters – All My Life (Rock)
- The London Philharmonic Orchestra – Battlefield 2 Main Theme (Orchestral)
After listening to these, I then spent the next 6 hours listening to various different artists and styles just to make sure that I hadn’t somehow picked a “perfect test” for them… 6 hours later, my jaw was still on the floor. Next up was gaming, so I tried Battlefield 3, The Elder Scrolls: Skyrim, League of Legends and yet again, these blew me away. These are by far and away the best headphones that I have ever heard under the £200~ mark, perhaps even more. The only thing I haven’t tested is using them un-amped, so I can’t comment on the performance there.
In short, buy some! (http://www.superfi.co.uk/) Best £30 you’ll ever spend.